These opportunities are primarily for younger students although the range varies
- http://www.campinvention.org K - 6th grade camp. There are volunteer opportunities for students in grades 9 - 12.
Vision: Leadership for Learning
Mission: The Office of Student Learning provides a World-Class Education for each learner through leadership in programs, instruction, curricula and professional development.
Science Areas of Focus
- Literacy: Development of the language, process skills, and critical thinking of science. Development of fluency in the reading and interpretation of science text, as well as oral, written, and visual communication in science.
- Differentiation: Creation of a safe, inclusive, and effective science learning environment for all students. Modification of content, process, and product to enable the success of all learners to include English language learners, students with special education needs, and gifted learners.
- Hands-On Inquiry: Planning for instruction that includes active questioning, hands-on experiential learning, and experimental design. Use and application of scientific equipment, measuring tools, and real world materials. May include both classroom-based and outdoor learning experiences.
- Rigor: Develops higher order cognitive processes in science including analysis, evaluation, synthesis, and real-world applications. Addresses enriched content, process, and product for students in gifted, advanced, AP, Cambridge, and IB programs.
- State Science Standards of Learning Practice Items
- Virginia Science Activities, Models, and Simulations project engages students in middle and high school in practices that are essential for learning science through inquiry. The activities involve asking questions or defining problems, using models or sensors, collecting data, interpreting results, using mathematics, technology and computational thinking, constructing explanations and designing solutions based on evidence.
The activities, models and simulations were developed by teachers participating in the Innovative Technology in Science Inquiry Scale Up (ITSI-SU) project funded by the National Science Foundation.The SAMS project is a partnership between VDOE, Longwood University’s Institute for Teaching Technology through Innovative Practices (ITTIP) and the Concord Consortium.
- Science Standards of Learning Institutes
- Science Instructional resources
- Expanded Scope & Sequence Lessons